Add my book to your GoodReads Shelf

Life Is Short, Laundry Is Eternal: Confessions of a Stay-at-Home Dad

Social Media

Life Is Short, Laundry Is Eternal is a Mom’s Choice Awards® Gold Recipient

Winner 2011 Advocating for Another

Winner 2011 Editor's Choice

Search

Ask Me Anything > Go Bag

Hi. My husband and I really enjoy reading your blog. Our 6 year old son was diagnosed almost a year ago. It helps to know we are not alone in this daily struggle. We recently read your 504. I've never felt my son's 504 was adequate and shared yours with his school nurse. I'm hoping to implement a few changes in the new year. I love the idea of the "grab bag". What kind of bag does your daughter carry around with her? We've struggled with finding something that was easy to carry and held all of his supplies. Any thoughts? Thanks!

December 31, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterLeah

Hello Leah!

Arden's Go Bag was a small clutch sized container, it was always a bag that we just saw somewhere that looked like it would work. It held a small meter (because you can't have multiple OmniPod PDMs), enough test strips for two days, a MultiClix lance, glucose tabs and a juice box. It was enough stuff to avoid a low BG. In emergencies the nursing staff is charged with arriving at the rally point with a vial of insulin and needles. This is all in place in case Arden's OmniPod PDM is lost during an evacuation or not available on the playground, gym etc.

This year her process has changed. You can find more information on that in this post http://www.ardensday.com/main/2012/9/7/day-one-of-our-new-school-plan.html.

I hope that your new 504 plan helps your son to be safer and healthier in 2013! Please feel free to ask if there is anything that I can help with.

Thank you for reading AD, I'm beyond touched that it provides some comfort to your family!

Happy New Year!
Scott

December 31, 2012 | Registered CommenterScott Benner