#6 In Diabetes (Kindle)

Add my book to your GoodReads Shelf

Life Is Short, Laundry Is Eternal: Confessions of a Stay-at-Home Dad

Social Media

Life Is Short, Laundry Is Eternal is a Mom’s Choice Awards® Gold Recipient

Winner 2011 Advocating for Another

Winner 2011 Editor's Choice

Search

Ask Me Anything > Is Arden still liking her omnipod?

My name is Haley i'm 13 years old I have type 1 diabetes found out on June, 3rd 2011. I'm still on injections right now. But I've ordered the omnipod and i should be starting it in a few weeks!(: Just wondering is arden still like her omnipod & if she thinks it hurts? P.S. I love your youtube videos!!!

January 25, 2012 | Registered CommenterHaley Reno

Hello Haley!

Arden has been using the OmniPod for almost exactly three years and she absolutely loves it! I just asked her for you if it hurts when the pod injects itself and she said, "it doesn't feel much different then getting an insulin injection". Once and a while she says that it stings for a few moments but that doesn't happen very frequently.

When she first began using pods the loud click that they make when inserting would startle her but she got accustom to that fairly quickly. We are of course excited for the day that the new, smaller version of the pod becomes available. It's pretty small now but I've held the new ones and they are very much smaller.

I think you are going to love the freedom that tubeless pumping will bring to your life!

We wish you all the best with your OmniPod and please let me know if you have any questions... I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks so much for finding Arden's Day!

Best,
Scott

January 30, 2012 | Registered CommenterScott Benner

We are newly diagnosed.
My daughter,Ella(5 yrs old), May 13,2012. We are using lantus and novolog but wanting to start my research on omnipod and cgm. Feeling like there is so much to learn and when to switch to a pump? Just recieved leigh annes book and loving it. Can't wait to read your book. These 2 blog sites have provided me with so much info and I thank you!

August 24, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterHaley Bjornberg

Hey Haley!

I think that you'll find the process of moving from MDI to a pump easier then it feels like it will be. There is going to be a bit of uncertainty for the first few days but you will get the hang of things very quickly once the nerves pass. Pumping is certainly an adjustment but it's not nearly as scary as it seems when you are in the contemplation stage. You'll do great and if you need help we are all here to lend you what ever you need to make your transition as easy as possible.

As to when. If you want your daughter to use a pump begin talking to your endo about it and find out what they want you to do to get prepared. Arden has only ever used an OmniPod insulin pump and the DexCom 7+ CGM so I can't tell you about other products. I want to say first that with complete respect to other's choices, I can not imagine Arden using a tubed insulin pump and until someone makes a better one... OmniPod is the best option for us in the tubeless market. I can recommend it without hesitation.

The DexCom is just heavenly! It's not to say that every device isn't without their issues but I'm more then happy with these two devices.

I was very pleased that I was asked to write a sidebar in 'Kids First, Diabetes Second' and am glad that you are finding Leighann's book so helpful, she did a wonderful job writing it. Thanks for thinking about picking up my book next year.

I'm so happy that you are finding comfort in the diabetes online community and am humbled that you read 'Arden's Day'. I hope Ella is doing great!

Best,
Scott

August 24, 2012 | Registered CommenterScott Benner

Hi scott! I tried to request info on the Dexcom website and it says patient must be 18 yr or older. Think I will talk to our endo and request info there. I'm def sold on the OmniPod when we do move to a pump. So nice to read a blog from a dad's side, and very entertaining I must say! Had me in tears reading Arden's diagnosis story. Brought up all those feelings like it was yesterday. Thanks for sharing your stories with us. Helps me to feel connected to people who understand. Have a great weekend!

August 25, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterHaley Bjornberg

Haley,

Have you called your endo yet. They should be able to explain how to 'avoid' the issue of 18+. It's not difficult or problematic. Just takes a note from your doc. Let me know! Scott

September 6, 2012 | Registered CommenterScott Benner

How frequently Arden changes the patch with insuline?

The OmniPod is removed and replaced every 72 hours (3 days). They are disposable and recyclable through Omni's recycling program.

We chose OmniPod because it was the only tubeless option and have been happy with it ever since.

December 5, 2012 | Registered CommenterScott Benner